Arlington Town Meeting

29 May 2003


I have changed my mind on the budgets -- I now think they should be tabled until after the override vote. I had thought that voting them before the election, even after Mr. Tosti notified us the DOR would not allow a contingent appropriation would be fine. However, I now believe waiting until after the election will be a big time-saver since it will spare us from getting bogged down dealing with a host of amendments that may well be made moot if the override passes.

As for the deliberations on Article 71, I think both sides had some very good points. Mr. Lyons scored by asking why what was OK for Peirce was not OK for Dallin. People on the other side scored by pointing out the need for a more solid plan in case reimbursements do not come in within seven years. I for one would like to know what the DOR actually said with respect to the 37% issue. Some speakers (including some I consider to be quite detail-oriented, regardless of whether or not I generally agree with them) stated that DOR position was that expenditures beyond 37% of the stated exclusion amount could not be excluded from the levy limit. Others said that the DOR stated all expenditures up to the stated exclusion amount could be excluded from the levy limit. I suppose I shall defer to the Treasurer, who (by way of saying that TM should stick to the 37% figure) said that the DOR stated the whole amount was excludible.

Speaking of re-financing, is any of the Town's outstanding debt callable? If so, are the relevant officials working to get it refinanced at today's historically low rates?

Having praised the Moderator after last week's session, I think I have to take some of that back for this week. While the Moderator is not statutorially bound to his list, I think letting Mr. Bilafer use answering someone else's question as a way to move ahead on the list was unfair to the intervening speakers and to the meeting, and will only encourage further speakers to use similar dubious tactics. I still think on balance speakers are too-often allowed to get away with stunts like that and with abuse of points of privilege, information and order. This is not to claim that the Moderator has an easy job to do, however.


Home