Arlington Town Meeting

13 May 2003


In an attempt to further educate myself before voting on Article 5 in the special town meeting… Can someone fill me in on details of the Pierce Field cleanup settlement? As in, what is the expected total cost? Do we have access to studies showing that partial removal and capping it is the best course of action? Who has the control over this project – is it the School Committee because it’s at AHS, or another town board? A friend with a background in geology raised concerns about capping it, and the future effects of that. What will happen if we do not pass this article? Will the cleanup still happen, but it would prohibit elevating the lower part to level the field? Will the whole project still happen, but at higher costs? What are the town’s costs for this as it is (i.e. will the settlement fully cover the proposals we have to complete it?) Why include the sunset provision? I would be more inclined to support this if the Conservation Commission were given authority to grant variances in ALL situations that meet whatever criteria we feel is appropriate for it. Why do we have this law anyways, when the wetlands are already protected by state legislation? I hope someone can answer these questions before tomorrow night… I was initially certain that I would vote in favor of anything that would facilitate the rebuilding of the fields there. That is still very important to me. However, after hearing Ms. Mahon speak last night, I am a lot more concerned about the implications of selectively enforcing the law. -Lisa Reale Town Meeting Member, Precinct 6


Home